Whenever I get mad at my dog for chewing up a sock or something minor like that, I take a moment and remember the dog I had when I was younger. He was a Siberian Husky named Sasha and my dad got him because he wanted a dog that had blue eyes like he did.
Not that he’s shallow or anything.
Now this dog was a chewer. We discovered this after he chewed the leg off the kitchen table, chewed up the seats on the five kitchen chairs, chewed up a chunk of the linoleum kitchen floor, chewed the arm off the living room sofa, the oriental rug, and the rattan bookcase, chewed the seat off the downstairs toilet, and finally knocked the bathroom door down, split it in half and chewed that too.
Needless to say, that dog did not stick around too long.
In comparison, our dog Riley has merely chewed up several stuffed animals, an Ugg boot, and a ball of knitting yarn. His breed tends to have a taste for underwear, but that, fortunately has not been our experience. The real problem pet in our family has been our chinchilla. He chewed his way through a lamp cord, a clock cord, a backpack, and a plastic folder with the homework inside. Try telling your teacher your chinchilla ate your homework and see what response you get.
I suppose in the grand scheme of things, neither my dog nor my chinchilla are really that bad when it comes to chewing. I’ve heard of dogs that have chewed and ingested golf balls, pacifiers, cellphones, and even a Wii controller. In the case of the cellphone, rumor has it the phone actually went down in one piece and the owner realized what had happened to it when it started to ring.
Fortunately, the dog was OK and the phone still worked, but I’m not sure I would want THAT phone back.